Thursday, September 23, 2010

DEFENSE MECHANISMS

Ok, Im on a thinking roll today.

My favorite book in high school was an old Psychology Textbook my Mom gave to me from her nursing classes. I read it cover to cover. In my High School Yearbook, my desired vocation was to become a Psychologist. There are so many schools of thought, Freudian, Gestalt, Jung Fundamentalism.

Then, I read the book The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. My first dose of Existentialism. Crime and Punishment is still on my bookshelf today.

It was mind candy and I thought I had everything figured out until I read a book on Theoretical Physics and I realized that the universe is so vast, and that we are all so small, that nothing matters anyway. I had this recurring dream where I opened the front door and the Sun, full size was right there. It used to make me get this overwhelming resigned humbled sinking feeling, with an undescribeable calmness attached. I just did it to myself again, cool.

So back to psychology. According to Freud, we all have defense mechanisms to protect the ego. There are many, like Rationalization, Displacment, etc.

One of them, Sublimation, refers to diverting the stressful impulses into something exceptable. such as art, music, poetry. Its probably one of the most productive defense mechanisms in that something is created. But its not for everyone, you have to be creative to do it. Some of the greatest masterpieces were created due to Sublimation.

So consider this Blog as Sublimation Junction. Think Ill re name it!